Friday, February 19, 2021

Every Writer's Favorite Topic: Coffee

 



Today I thought I would blog about a very important topic for writers: coffee. The way your take your coffee and how your make it can provide very important information about a writer, and for the writer to be able to describe their characters. I am inspired to write about this for a very important reason: it seems my newest percolator has died. 😞

Before I get too far, that photo above is not my newest percolator. That is the percolator my grandfather used going all the back to when I was a little kid. But I chose to use that photo because not only is that percolator coffee maker still working, but it also makes better tasting coffee than my new percolator system! I don't know what its secret is (magic?), but that damn thing makes the best freaking coffee I've ever tasted (screw you, Starbucks!).

There's a meme that goes around with various coffee makers and what it says about you. Under the percolator system it says you're either pretentious or an old Italian. Well, that percolator pictured is from my Italian side of the family (mom's maiden name was Notarione). Both my parents were big coffee drinkers, my non-Italian dad even moreso than my mother. I can't say my parents knew everything, or that they did everything perfectly, but I can say they were correct about the percolator system being superior to the new drip systems.

So how do I take my coffee? I'm not so traditional that I take it black, but I do need a little cream and sugar. I'm also not a big fan of those longer coffee drink names you can find at Starbucks and other similar places. I have a hard time getting myself to spend as much as those modern coffee shops are asking for a cup of joe. I can't even imagine drinking iced coffee. I don't want to insult anyone who does like these types of coffees, but they are just not me.

Isn't it interesting how much you can learn about a person just by knowing what kind of coffee they drink and how they take it? So how do you like your coffee? And if you are writing, how do your characters take their coffee? Or do they drink coffee? And if they don't drink coffee, what do they drink, and how do they drink it? This can be important information for your readers.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I love Mocha, that’s my favorite type of coffee. I like the peppermint creamer. I’m a big ice coffee drinker. On cold days, I like the hot coffee. I have my first self published book on Amazon Kindle, called, ‘Sweet September.’ My main character Susan and her husband, like their coffee black. They like it hot, not ice coffee. Susan mom, Betty, she loves her coffee with Mocha ☕️ creamer. She drinks hers after dinner. 😇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing! You post your link of where we can find your book.

      Delete
  2. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DSS7PDX
    Fiction short story, In ebook and paper back. 💙

    ReplyDelete